CLP Lambert Fellows Program
Program Dates: June 12, 2017 - June 8, 2019
Deadline to apply: March 1, 2017 no later than 5 p.m.
The CLP Lambert Fellows Program is designed to provide multi-year funding for hands-on laboratory research for rising sophomores and juniors majoring in Chemistry under the mentorship of CLP faculty members. The overall goal of the program is to create a cadre of enthusiastic, well-trained undergraduates who will be entrepreneurial in their approach to research. Fellowships will begin this summer and continue throughout the academic year for a minimum period of two years.
- Each Fellowship award amounts to $7,000 annually to be expended as follows:
- $1,000 to the faculty mentor’s laboratory for supplies and materials for academic year research
- $1,000 for travel to academic conferences
- $1,000 support for materials and supplies provided to the mentor’s lab for summer research.
- $4,000 stipend for summer research
- Summer stipend payment is considered "special pay" by the University Payroll Office and is taxable. If awarded the fellowship, please consult with a Payroll representative about marking "exempt" on your tax forms
- Fellows are expected to complete a research report at the completion of the fellowship period
- Summer Research Component: Lambert Fellows will engage in full-time research for an 8-week period (between June and end of August) each summer for two years. Students must agree not to take on any other paid work or research grants for any part of the eight week period, and must not be enrolled in courses for any part of that period. Each scholar will also work closely with a graduate student or postdoctoral associate mentor. Regular group meetings will give students opportunities to share their progress. Enrichment activities will include special lectures, technical writing and public speaking workshops, and a summer picnic. The funding for the summer research component of the Lambert Fellows program includes $1,000 annually to the mentor's laboratory to cover project costs and $4,000 stipend to the student to cover living expenses for the individual students as well as for support of the enrichment activities for the group.
- Academic Year Research Component: The Lambert Fellows Program will allow students to participate in research independent of the regular curriculum for three quarter-long projects. The Institute will provide $1,000 to the mentor’s laboratory at the beginning of each year of the fellowship to cover research related costs (for example, lab supplies and instrument usage charges, etc.) for each Lambert Scholar. The Fellows will work closely with an Institute faculty mentor to develop their proposed research projects and proposed budget allocations. Graduate student and postdoctoral associate mentors will also work closely with the students. CLP Fellows will be highly encouraged to actively participate in:
- CLP Lunch & Learns
- CLP-sponsored workshops
- Institute-sponsored symposia
- Conference/Travel Component: Each of the Lambert Fellows will be eligible for up to $1,000 annually for support for participation in scientific conferences and meetings. These travel funds will be administered by CLP and can cover conference registration and travel costs.
- Applicants must be rising sophomores or juniors majoring in Chemistry
- Research must be conducted with a CLP Faculty member
SELECTION OF LAMBERT SCHOLARS
Applicants will be selected based upon their academic achievements and scientific interests. The application includes:
- Completed application form
- Include a one-page, single-sided proposal describing the type of research in which you would most like to conduct if selected for this program. Use a standard 10-12 point font.
- One additional page is allowed for including figures and/or references
- Endorsement letter from a CLP Faculty member
Application materials can be submitted via email, the postal service or in person:
- Electronically submitted materials should be sent to Tiffany Ozmina, t-leighton-ozmina [at] northwestern [dot] edu
- Materials submitted through the postal service should be sent to Tiffany Ozmina, Chemistry of Life Processes Institute, 2145 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208
- Submit your application materials in person to Tiffany Ozmina in Silverman Hall 3-601
CLP Faculty may submit the recommendation letter via email, the mail or in person to Tiffany Ozmina.
- The application deadline for this program is March 1, 2016 no later than 5 p.m.
Fellows will be named by the end of April.
For additional information about this program, please contact Tiffany Ozmina:
Silverman Hall 3-601
t-leighton-ozmina [at] northwestern [dot] edu (subject: CLP%20Undergraduate%20Research%20Grant)
|CLP Lambert Fellowship Application_FY17.pdf||567.37 KB|